Learning Fire by friction with The Bow Drill is our goal. Simply put, the level of knowledge and physical endurance required to be consistent using this technique is expert level. But we begin with a solid foundation where you will walk away from this course with a thorough understanding of success with the bow drill.
The Bow Drill
Location: Florence, OR
Date: Nov. 19-20, Dec. 10-11, 2022
Tuition: per person $225.00
READ: Registration Policies before purchasing. Buy by check
The Bow Drill
Make fire the old way. Knowledge, technique, tenacity, and an expert coach. These are the key components to your success.
Become a Fire-Keeper. Insuring the old ways of Fire-Craft for future generations. Be a master of the "whirling wood".
A magical dance between oxygen, fuel, and friction. When these three works together in harmony you have success.
The Field Course
- knife safety and use – wood carving
- fire safety and responsibility
- bow drill kit carving
- best bow drill woods list
- tinder bundle, fine & coarse kindling
- one match fire construction
- leave no trace
This two-day training held south of Florence, OR. Florence is an hour's drive west of Eugene and three and a half - hours north of Medford. And a three and a half-hour drive south of Portland. For Bend and Central Oregon, however, expect 3 to 4 hours.
- Driving directions, gear list, course forms, specific to your class are provided upon registration
- Camping and meals are not provided
- First day start time 8:40 AM - end time 4:PM
- No smoking
- No dogs or pets of any kind allowed on camp premises or in vehicles
- Leave No Trace: pack it in and pack it out
Not available on site. See area accommodations for Camping, Honeyman Memorial State Park, Lagoon Campground, Darlings Marina & RV Resort are the closest. Motel accommodations in and around Florence OR. 97439, and Dune City.