Begin your training in basic, practical, and useful survival skills over the span of a weekend. Weekend Survival School California provides outstanding survival training. Practical and useful survival skills for camping and backpacking.
Weekend Survival School California
Dates: September 11-13,
Where: Mount Shasta, CA
Tuition: CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19
Eligible Students: Adults (Teens 16 + may attend with parental consent.)
Register by check
Weekend Survival School California
Developing and learning survival skills is essential if you spend anytime in nature. Don't be a victim because you weren't prepared or trained correctly.
Having good functioning camping gear is important for a comfortable camping experience. The last thing you want when your 5- miles out from the trailhead is equipment failure. So choosing the right gear for your activity and knowledge to use it is important.
Did you know that your camping gear is also your survival gear. The gear you take with you is the gear that protects you from cold to extreme heat. The gear you choose, from head to toe, will have a big affect on your camping experience.
Knowledge and experience
But what is even more important than gear, is knowledge and experience. The more time you spend outdoors the more knowledge and experience you gain.
Leave no trace
Learning and applying leave no trace principles to your camping experience makes for a much better time on the trail, car camping, or glamping.
Leave no trace reduces the chances of having negative experiences with bears and rodents. Feeding squirrels and bears is a no no, and habituates animals to people. This is not a good thing. Keep our wildlife healthy and wild by cleaning up your camp.
Pack it in, pack it out!
Weekend Survival School
Survival training and woodcraft skills dramatically enhance your outdoor experience.
The intro course includes
- mind preparedness
- staying found concepts
- shelter - clothing and footwear
- water - hydration - filtering
- shelter - location
- setting up a tent - tarp - knots
- primitive emergency shelter options
- camping knives – safety and technique
- emergency fire craft
- lightweight nutritional foods for backpacking
- using a backpacking stove
- intro map reading
- using a compass
- human and wildlife interaction
- backcountry sanitation
- leave no trace concepts
"Mark strikes the perfect balance between teaching you from his own vast experience and giving participants the opportunity to learn from their own experiences at camp. I look forward to learning a lot more from him." ~Carlos S.
"Thanks again Mark for the great time. Beautiful setting, excellent instruction, and practical application. An all-around amazing experience. See you again." ~Tim B.
"Thank you for a GREAT weekend and a wonderful learning experience! See you next year for a week-long trip and more learning!" ~Robert La R.
As a group, we will do several short nature walks in the area for wild plant and animal tracking lectures. The majority of course time will be held at camp for lectures and practicing skills.
backpack and camp gear
Bring a backpack if you have one. If you don't, you can look at the backpacks other students bring. And hear the pros and cons on what folks like about their packs.
Feel free to bring any gear you would like to practice with during camp. Such as backpack stove and water filter.
Here is our recommended gear list for the Weekend Survival School California
Northern California near Mount Shasta.
More Info ♦
- Eligible Students: adults, (teens ages 14-15, must be accompanied by one adult. Teens 16 +, may attend with parental consent.)
- Class Limit: 12
- Requirements: none
- Duration: Friday afternoon through noon Sunday.
- Schedule: 4 PM Friday – ends on Sunday at 12:00 PM (noon)
- Location: northern CA, near Mount Shasta. 1-hour drive south of Medford OR. Four-hour drive north of Sacramento, and about a 5-hour drive from San José and San Francisco, CA.
- Accommodations: camp site and vehicle parking fee, included.
- Meals: after receiving your registration payment we will email meal suggestions for breakfast lunch and dinner items.
- Leave No Trace camping: pack it in and pack it out
- Equipment: a registration packet will be supplied after enrollment; tent and sleeping pad rentals are available for $30
- Weekend Camp Gear List
- Transport: - shuttle service available.
- School Instructors and Staff: Mark Wienert Owner – founder and head instructor; Staff – Lifesong volunteers.